My 9 mo baby ate a piece of plastic wrap! it was around 1 cm. He seems ok so far, but I am scared it might create health problems? What should I do?

Dr. Teresa Carson

In brief: Watchful waiting

If the child did not choke after eating the wrap, and seems to be in no respiratory or abdominal distress, watching is probably all that is needed.
Aspiration is the biggest concern, so monitor for breathing issues. Stomach acid will likely break down the plastic, or it will just pass through the GI tract. Any changes, notify your pediatrician.

In brief: Watchful waiting

Dr. Teresa Carson
Dr. Teresa Carson

In brief: Kids eat stuff

If the plastic was not sucked into babies windpipe as he got it down it will not create a problem. Kids eat a variety of foreign materials, using taste & texture as a method of exploration.
Plastic of that size will pass through into the poo in 3-5 days or less. Be wary of toys with detachable parts, spilled objects on the floor, etc. I've had some eat bugs too.

In brief: Kids eat stuff

Dr. Cindy Juster