How SPF level sunscreen do I need to protect my skin?

Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Sunscreen

Sunscreens work via 2 possible ways: 1) chemical blocks that breakdown the uv rays as they pass through the skin and 2) physical blocks that prevent the uv rays from getting to the skin.
I recommend the physical blocks (zinc and titanium) because they have a very good safety profile and work very effectively. If you are going to be in the sun - use a minimum of spf 15 - follow product directions.

In brief: Sunscreen

Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Dr. Frederick Coville
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: No magic number

Anything over 50 is a waste of money and usually there are so many added chemicals to get above 50 that can cause you problems.
Best to use a good sunscreen with an spf of 35 to 50 and reapply it frequently. Nothing is truly waterproof, so wear a hat and reapply your sunscreen frequently.

In brief: No magic number

Dr. Frederick Coville
Dr. Frederick Coville
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine