Is it normal for my 14 year old son to stay up all night, and sleep all day ?

In brief: If you let him it is

The body can set its internal sleep wake cycle any way you let it.
That's how shift workers survive what we would consider odd sleeping patterns. If you cave in and let him stay up all night,which is easy at that age, he will set his clock to sleep during the day. You can either reverse it or let it happen.It is not abuse to make him fit the schools schedule.

In brief: If you let him it is

Dr. Vikas Jain
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Yes and No

So this is normal only in the fact that some individuals have a physiologic tendency to delay their circadian rhythm in adolescence.
This sleep disorder is referred to as Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome. It is treatable! I would recommend you consider consulting with a Sleep Specialist in your area who can help get him back on track!

In brief: Yes and No

Dr. Vikas Jain
Dr. Vikas Jain
Dr. Reid Blackwelder

It is very common for teenagers to reverse their sleep cycles as you describe.
It can be frustrating but normal. In fact, some studies have suggested this shift is common enough that recommendations to start high school later in the morning and finish later have been made. Good luck as this almost always causes conflict!

Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Jonathan Jassey