One day I took a deep breath in and felt this really sharp pain on one side of my back as if someone stabbed me. It hurt there for the whole day and nothing could make it go away what happened?

Dr. Thomas Davis
Dentistry

In brief: Back Pain

This could be a few things.
Possibly a muscle spasm which can take a day or couple weeks to go away. If you still have this pain you should see your doctor to rule out heart, stone passing, or even intestinal distress. Please make sure you are up to date with your medical physicals. You did not say if this was upper or lower back. Your md would be best to consult on this matter.

In brief: Back Pain

This could be a few things.
Dr. Thomas Davis
Dr. Thomas Davis
Dr. Vikram Patel