Ipl for rosacea: web reviews suggest some bad side effects. Skin losing plumpness, wrinkles, red and swollen for up to 6 weeks. What is the truth?

Not my experiencece. I've been treating patients with ipl for about 5 years and have not seen what you describe. As with all light-based therapies if one is too aggressive burns are a risk but this is uncommon. Generally after an ipl treatment the skin will appear slightly redder for the next 24 hours then the roseacea will gradually lighten over the next 4-6 weeks. It may take as much as 4-6 sessions to control.
IPL Side Effects. While ipl enthusiasts from the medical side claim that this technology is safest in the laser treatment field, and has the least risk of side effects, increased skin irritation is not uncommon to ipl patients. Redness, itchiness and (even if rarely) a stinging sensation in the skin, usually on the face, are all possible post-treatment side effects.