Could lowering blood pressure help stop dementia?

Dr. Joseph Roosth

In brief: Very complex answer

It would probably not stop dementia as dementia is influenced by many factors.
However, some research has suggested that both high and low blood pressure serve as risk factors for the development of dementia. More important in my opinion is the fact that treatment of high blood pressue is associated with reduced illness from many causes and is therefore very important.

In brief: Very complex answer

Dr. Joseph Roosth
Dr. Joseph Roosth
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Not necessarily

Only for multi infarct dementias and atherosclerotic dementia a good control of hypertension is indicated.
Other dementias are not associated to htn.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Maureen Nash
Psychiatry - Geriatric

In brief: No

Once one has dementia lowering BP less likely to help though managing this early in life more likely to help.

In brief: No

Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Eric Weisman