Which is better for COPD patients, albuterol inhaler or Combivent (albuterol and ipratropium) inhaler?

Unknown. Longer term studies show that both drugs are quick acting and relieve acute dyspnea/shortness of breath. It appears unlikely that either drug affects the natural history of asthma/copd. Longer acting drugs called maintenance inhalers are associated with significant decreases in exacerbation (flares) of these diseases and may affect lung function longer term.
See below. The short acting inhalers are more for acute shortness of breath. Neither really do anything for COPD - they just help your breathing acutely. Both work ok for this.
Equivalent. Combivent contains both albuterol and ipratropium. In copd, albuterol and ipratropium are equivalent in terms of therapeutic effect. There is no advantage of adding one to the other. The reason to combine them was to use a lower dose of albuterol thus reducing the side effects of albuterol (tremor, palpitation, jitteriness).