Is pancreatic cancer always fatal?

Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: No, but it's serious

Pancreatic cancer is often fatal because it is not caught early.
If the cancer is small and can be completely removed, it can be cured. We have better chemo drugs and better surgeries, but still, 5 years after diagnosis only about 5% of patients are alive. Patients with small tumors have better chances than those with large tumors with spread to lymph nodes.

In brief: No, but it's serious

Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Paul Harper
Surgery

In brief: Depends

The stage of the illness determines the outcome of treatment.
I have had patients live for several years from the time of the diagnosis. Others die within weeks of the diagnosis. Not a nice disease.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Paul Harper
Dr. Paul Harper
With extremely aggressive surgery, it's now claimed that several percent of patients with the common ductal (very aggressive) variant can be helped. Other pancreatic cancers are less common but less aggressive. Good luck.