Can I take retin-a while breastfeeding?

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology
In brief: Retin-A
Safety unknown with lactation: inadequate literature available to assess risk; caution advised.

In brief: Retin-A
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher
In brief: No
Although topical preparations of this medication are unlikely to be absorbed and pass to baby, the oral forms pass easily in breast milk.
It is avoided during pregnancy due to an associated pattern of birth defects, and data suggest toxic effects on infants.

In brief: No
Dr. H. William Song
Aesthetic Medicine
In brief: No
Vitamin a is toxic to the liver and is fat soluble vitamin so it can be passed to the baby through the milk.
Why take a chance?

In brief: No
Why take a chance?
Dr. H. William Song
Dr. H. William Song
In brief: No
As of now there is no good data assessing the safety of taking Retin-A while breastfeeding.
I could not recommend starting or continuing this medication while breastfeeding.

In brief: No
Dr. Scott J. Wolfson
Dr. Scott J. Wolfson