How come my I have different prescriptions for my glasses and contacts?

Dr. Howard Pomeranz
Ophthalmology

In brief: Lens prescriptions

Contacts sit directly on the cornea.
Glasses are in front of the cornea and therefore the power of the two differ in focusing an image on the retina.

In brief: Lens prescriptions

Contacts sit directly on the cornea.
Dr. Howard Pomeranz
Dr. Howard Pomeranz
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology

In brief: Power adjustment

Spectacle prescription and contact lens prescription differ because of the position of the corrective lens on the eye.
Because spectacles rest about 12 mm from the ocular surface, there power will be slightly different than a contact lens that is right on the ocular surface. The magnitude of the difference depends on how strong the prescription is.

In brief: Power adjustment

Dr. Jon Fishburn
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Dr. Arnon Rubin