How can I know if intestinal strangulation has occurred because of my hernia?

In brief: Bowel obstruction

By definition, if you have strangulated bowel in your hernia, you are obstructed.
Usual symptoms include pain, nausea, bloating, and later with emesis and sepsis. As the bowel starts to die, you may have redness and swelling of the overlying soft tissue. It is considered a surgical emergency.

In brief: Bowel obstruction

Dr. George T Tsai
Dr. George T Tsai
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: It's Not Subtle

A "strangulated" hernia is so named due to the "choking off" of the blood supply to the intestine "incarcerated" (stuck) w/in the hernia.
This causes an intensely painful, irreducible bulge at the hernia, as well as signs/symptoms of a bowel obstruction(nausea, vomiting, bloating, constipation). This is a surgical emergency.

In brief: It's Not Subtle

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery