Gained 20 pounds on elavil (amitriptyline). What to do?

D/C it, or diet. Elavil (amitriptyline) often causes wt gain. If it could be replaced with another antidepressant, then have your md d/c it and replace it - but you'll still need to do some exercise to help lose the wt. If you can't d/c the elavil, (amitriptyline) then you have to be aggressive about wt management: watching caloric intake and doing vigorous exercise. In worst cases, sometimes an appetite suppressant is used too.
A/W Dr. Forrester. I am not sure is Elavil (amitriptyline) was being used for depression, pain relief, cancer tx or another off-label use. The bottom line is that weight gain is not uncommon with elavil (amitriptyline). The primary choices are to discuss changing to another medication or life style change to lose the weight. To lose weight: eat healthfully ; be physically active. Aim for 7.5 to 8 hrs of sleep / night. Hydrate w at least 64 oz of.