Is physician-assisted suicide ethical?

Dr. Ester Kwok

In brief: It is not legal

People with terminal illnesses need not suffer pain/ indignity.
Discussing one's views re: faith, life, death, and medical care with one's doctor is very important as is having an advanced health care directive and polst made. Hospice can make the experience before natural death more humane. One need not resort in suicide; which is not legal, moral, biblical, and many think, not ethical.

In brief: It is not legal

Dr. Ester Kwok
Dr. Ester Kwok
2 comments
Dr. Pamela Pappas
While my ethics don't agree with it, it is still "legal" in certain states in the US and some other countries as well.
Dr. Paul Rousseau
Dr. Pappas is correct, it is legal in some states and some countries. I also think the morality of assisted death is individual, and based upon that individual's beliefs and values. It remains a very controversial issue.
Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: In some cases yes

This is a huge ethical question.
In oregon we call it "physician aid in dying" and it is legal when requested by a terminally ill patient. Suicide is a rash decision made during emotional distress, which is different. Dying patients who are suffering in ways that can't be helped by hospice have the right to control how they die, in my view. Many doctors want the same option for themselves.

In brief: In some cases yes

This is a huge ethical question.
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Eddie Nakhuda
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Depends on your beli

It is legal in some states.

In brief: Depends on your beli

It is legal in some states.
Dr. Eddie Nakhuda
Dr. Eddie Nakhuda