I went to the doctor at 12weeks 5days pregnant she used the dopplar for a few seconds but did not find the heartbeat, is this normal or do I have something to worry about? At 8 weeks I did have a sonogram and seen the babies heartbeat! i'm nervous cause s

Dr. Miguel Cano

In brief: Could be normal

Usually by 12 weeks fhts are heard on fetal doppler. If only a few seconds were tried, it wasn't a very dedicated attempt at listening.
It's important to hear fhts both to document a live & healthy fetus and to reassure both mom & OB that all is well. If you have no cramps or bleeding & a nl us @ 8 weeks, you're prob ok. It would have been better though if your OB had let you hear or see the fhr.

In brief: Could be normal

Dr. Jason Campbell

In brief: Probably Normal

Doppler technology is different that a full ultrasound and so especially with you being so early along in your pregnancy it would not be unusual to fail to capture the heart beat at 12-13 weeks using doppler in the office.
Early in pregnancy the uterus is still mostly behind the pelvis bone and this can limit the ability of doppler to detect heartbeat. See your doctor if still concerned.

In brief: Probably Normal

Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology