How much weight can you lose safely each week?

Dr. Chuck Shaffer
Bariatrics
In brief: See below
For my patients. I recommend 2 to 5 pounds weekly.
The heavier you are the more weight you lose during the first few months. As you get close to lean body mass, the weight will slow down. Please check with your doctor to see if there's any reason that you're having trouble losing weight. There's information. Also located on our webpage. W ww.Weigh station.Net. Please read the newsletters.

In brief: See below
Dr. Chuck Shaffer
Dr. Chuck Shaffer
In brief: A couple pounds/wk
Successful (intentional) weight loss requires that a person stick to a plan for months or years.
The person must be happy with the foods he gets to eat, so severe calorie restriction is usually unsuccessful. A person can cut back on calories enough to lose 2 pounds a week, and will be more likely to stay with that modest type of plan. Two pounds a week is about 100 pounds a year!

In brief: A couple pounds/wk