Do weight loss pills really help you lose weight?

Yes/depends. Depends on the type but if you get the correct one for your need it works.
Probably not much. Over-the-counter diet pills decrease one's appetite a bit (they are related to stimulants). A person's desire to eat can be much stronger that a diet pill's power to decrease his appetite, so he will likely continue to eat too many calories. Also, diet pills don't increase one's desire to exercise. If something as simple as a diet pill actually worked, we would not have so much obesity in america.