What should I know if I have diabetes and I want to get pregnant?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: See expert ASAP
Before trying to conceive (ttc), see an expert--perinatologist or mfm subspecialist or endocrinologist with experience with diabetes in pregnancy.
Have tests of heart, kidneys, eyes, hgba1c. Improve glycemic control with ada diet, exercise, Insulin under md care. Take folate (folic acid). When stable, then try. Let doctors know as soon as you think you might be pregnant. This is best approach for you and baby.

In brief: See expert ASAP
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
2 comments
Dr. Michael Carson
Some areas have "Obstetric Internists" who work with your MFM and OB doctor.
Dr. Pam Yoder
True. Most of us have not been fortunate to find them outside major metro medical centers :)
Dr. Erin Alward
In brief: See your doctor
Diabetes is much safer in pregnancy if it is under good control before you get pregnant.
Some of the diabetic medicines are not safe in pregnancy. It is always best for a diabetic woman to see her doctor before she considers pregnancy.

In brief: See your doctor
Dr. Erin Alward
Dr. Erin Alward
Dr. Peter Kurzweil