If your waist to hip ratio is high, why is it a risk factor for heart disease?

It's unclear. Fat has recently been found to be a major source of hormones and inflammatory cytokines. These hormones may have an increased influence on the heart and other organs when the fat that produces them is distributed within the abdomen as what is called visceral adiposity. The waist/hip ratio measures the visceral adiposity associated with heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure/cholesterol.
Cholesterol . Abdomen (belly) is the area where most of the fat we eat accumulates. From this fat our body produces cholesterol, triglycerides etc which deposit in the blood vessels causing a heart attack, stroke etc. So, a high waist to hip ratio is a strong predictor of the above.