What is the first treatment for sleep apnea?

Sleep apnea. Several possibilities: losing weight. See an ear nose & throat specialist to evaluate your tonsils, adenoids and sinus wear a CPAP or a custom made dental device that holds your jaw forward while you sleep thereby increasing the airway.
CPAP. CPAP is the first line treatment for sleep apnea. Weight loss should always be considered if the BMI (body mass index) is 30 or above. Other treatmemts may include surgery or oral appliances. New investigational devices look promising.
In general CPAP. For the average apnea patient CPAP should be tried first before any other therapy. However, I have had some patients with noses so obstructed and tonsils so large that I have operated on them first to clear their airway. In many of these selected patients their apnea was cured, in some they still needed cpap. A good airway exam is an important part of an apnea work up.
CPAP/BiPAP. The first treatment is application of a mask attached to a positive pressure breathing machine. This apparatus creates a pneumatic splint which keeps the airway open as you fall into deeper stages of sleep. Weight loss will cure sleep apnea, but weight loss takes time.
options. The CPAP machine and the many variations of CPAP are the "gold standard" of care for sleep apnea. But many people can't tolerate the machines for a variety of reasons including comfort, claustrophobia, etc. I get a lot of referrals from sleep specialists in the quad cities to make these patients oral mouthpieces, designed to bring the mandible forward and hold it there which opens up the airway.