What is the first treatment for sleep apnea?

Dr. Mark Birnbach
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Sleep apnea

Several possibilities: losing weight.
See an ear nose & throat specialist to evaluate your tonsils, adenoids and sinus wear a CPAP or a custom made dental device that holds your jaw forward while you sleep thereby increasing the airway.

In brief: Sleep apnea

Several possibilities: losing weight.
Dr. Mark Birnbach
Dr. Mark Birnbach
Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: CPAP

CPAP is the first line treatment for sleep apnea.
Weight loss should always be considered if the BMI (body mass index) is 30 or above. Other treatmemts may include surgery or oral appliances. New investigational devices look promising.

In brief: CPAP

Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. James Donley
CPAP for many years was considered the first line of treatment for sleep apnea. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine in February 2006, published new parameters of treatment. They said that for mild or moderate sleep apnea or someone with severe sleep apnea who wouldn't or couldn't use a CPAP, an oral appliance could be the treatment of choice. This is due at least in part because the compliance of use is usually much higher.
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: In general CPAP

For the average apnea patient CPAP should be tried first before any other therapy.
However, I have had some patients with noses so obstructed and tonsils so large that I have operated on them first to clear their airway. In many of these selected patients their apnea was cured, in some they still needed cpap. A good airway exam is an important part of an apnea work up.

In brief: In general CPAP

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Dean Giannone

In brief: CPAP/BiPAP

The first treatment is application of a mask attached to a positive pressure breathing machine.
This apparatus creates a pneumatic splint which keeps the airway open as you fall into deeper stages of sleep. Weight loss will cure sleep apnea, but weight loss takes time.

In brief: CPAP/BiPAP

Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Dean Giannone

In brief: options

The CPAP machine and the many variations of CPAP are the "gold standard" of care for sleep apnea.
But many people can't tolerate the machines for a variety of reasons including comfort, claustrophobia, etc. I get a lot of referrals from sleep specialists in the quad cities to make these patients oral mouthpieces, designed to bring the mandible forward and hold it there which opens up the airway.

In brief: options

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology