What are sleep apnea mouth guards?

MAD. Mandibular advancement devices (mad) - they pull the lower jaw forward to open of the lower airway and pull the tongue forward. They can be very effective - but see a sleep specialist who can fit you for one and monitor success.
Sleep apnea. These devices are designed to hold the lower jaw forward of the normal bite. This brings the tongue forward which causes an increase in the opening at the back of the throat, allowing more are to pass by.
Mandible forward. The CPAP machine and the many variations of CPAP are the "gold standard" of care for sleep apnea. But many people can't tolerate the machines for a variety of reasons including comfort, claustrophobia, etc. I get a lot of referrals from sleep specialists in the quad cities to make these patients oral mouthpieces, designed to bring the mandible forward and hold it there which opens up the airway.
Special appliances. They are special appliances designed to force the lower jaw forward. By doing this the tongue moves forward opening up the back of the throat improving the airway.