Can panic attack cause cardiac arrest?

Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: NOT REALLY

No but has it has been described by many of my patients it may feel like to some at some times when they feel heart pacing, chest pain and difficulty to breathe but it does not cause cardiac arrest.

In brief: NOT REALLY

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Panic & heart

Not likely, unless the cause is another factor already present in heart.

In brief: Panic & heart

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: No

Unless, i suppose a person is elderly and debilitated with chronic heart disease and heart failure who could not tolerate an elevated heart rate.
With that being said, it is quite common for someone to go to an emergency department thinking they are having a heart attack. They are told their heart is fine, it was a panic attack for which treatments are available. I would avoid xanax (alprazolam) if possible.

In brief: No

Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine