I have a lot of pain in my left knee, but no swelling, fever, or discoloration. Could this be osteoarthritis? I am a 62 year old male, type 1 diabetic

Dr. Dean Giannone

In brief: Could be OA.

An X-ray could confirm the typical findings of OA.

In brief: Could be OA.

Neelam Shah
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

Osteoarthritis is associated with less swelling and fever than rheumatoid arthritis, so what you have could be osteoarthritis or a variety of other conditions including anything from an infection to an overuse injury to gout.
It is difficult to tell for sure without knowing more of your story/doing a physical exam.

Answer assisted by Neelam Shah, Medical Student
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Absolutely

We start deteriorating when we are about 20 and its all downhill from there (although the ride can be fun).
It would be helpful to have your knee examined by an orthopedist who can confirm this diagnosis and make suggestions for management before necessitating a knee replacement.

In brief: Absolutely

Dr. Peter Kurzweil