All of a sudden I am having issues urinating. Even with a very full bladder, gtting started and keeping the flow going requires straining. Do I need t?

See a urologist. There are many reasons you could be having difficulty voiding. It can be difficult to tell if the problem is the bladder's ability to empty efficiently, or if there is obstruction of urine outflow. A urologist will be able to take an inventory of all your voiding complaints & assess the situation. Your urine flow rate may also be measured in the office. Seek help, there are many good treatments.
Prostate. This sounds like prostate enlargement. There medications such as Flomax (tamsulosin) and Finasteride that can be helpful. You didn't mention you age or sex but I am assuming you are a male. The problem typically develops after age 40.