How safe is a low calorie diet?

How low? Very strict diets run the risk of dehydration and ketosis and possibilities to faint, develop anemia or electrolyte disturbances ( low potassium, calcium, magnesium, low vitamins etc.) less than 1200 cal/ day are probably too restrictive.
See below. Low calorie diet depends on how low your calorie intake should be. Chasing calories is not always the best answer. Learning how to eat for yourself is the best way to go. Discuss with your doctor before beginning any weight loss program. You can find some information@www.Weighstation.Net and it's all for free. Blessings to you.