Can I keep and gain muscle on a low calorie diet?

Dr. Danny Proffitt
In brief: Probably not
It wold depend on the amount of protein you consume and how much you work out to develop and keep the muscles.
Low calorie diets may not supply the anount of carbs, protein and fat you will need to maintain. It would depend on your height and weight and age. I would be very careful, work with a reputable sports trainer, sports medicine doctor and reputable nutritionist. Danger! will robinson!

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Laurence Green
Bariatrics
In brief: Depends
Depends upon how low and if you are consuming enough lean protein.
A very low calorie diet is <800 calories a day, and needs to be more closely monitored by a medical person.So, calorie type and activity level should conserve muscle mass, if done right.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Laurence Green
Dr. Laurence Green
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine