Can I keep and gain muscle on a low calorie diet?

Probably not. It wold depend on the amount of protein you consume and how much you work out to develop and keep the muscles. Low calorie diets may not supply the anount of carbs, protein and fat you will need to maintain. It would depend on your height and weight and age. I would be very careful, work with a reputable sports trainer, sports medicine doctor and reputable nutritionist. Danger! will robinson!
Depends. Depends upon how low and if you are consuming enough lean protein. A very low calorie diet is <800 calories a day, and needs to be more closely monitored by a medical person.So, calorie type and activity level should conserve muscle mass, if done right.