I am just entering my third trimester of pregnancy and have been experienceing shortness of breath especially while laying down to sleep, is thete anything I can do to make this better? Is it common?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Cannot self diagnose

There are simple reasons for this (like big uterus pushing on nearby structures).
And there are complex conditions that can cause shortness of breath and can affect mom and baby. Obs want to know if a pregnant woman is having problems so they can check on the wellbeing of her and the baby. Most likely everything is ok, but why wait? Calling an OB could lead to relief of worry and symptoms.

In brief: Cannot self diagnose

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Steven Ajluni
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Tough to inspire

In later term pregnancy, the increasing abdominal girth pushes up the diaphragm and makes breathing more difficult particularly when lying down.
Also the pressure of the enlarged uterus and baby on the inferior vena cava also inhibits the return of blood to the heart. That coupled with increased intravascular volume can make it harder to breathe. It is common. Cardiac problems are more rare.

In brief: Tough to inspire

Dr. Steven Ajluni
Dr. Steven Ajluni
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology