How will I know if I am a candidate for weight loss surgery?

Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care

In brief: Need evaluation

You need medical evaluation for risk factors and whether you can qualify for surgery consult a surgeon who specializes in this area.

In brief: Need evaluation

Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown

In brief: Check with the dr

Firsr make an appointment to see a weight loss surgeon and they will help you and let you know if you qualify.

In brief: Check with the dr

Dr. Terry Simpson
Dr. Terry Simpson
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Bariatrics

In brief: OR if BMI over 35

Weight loss surgery candidates: 1) BMI over 40 with no problems -- usually about 100 pounds overweight, 2) BMI over 35 with problems like diabetes, cholesterol, hypertension -- usually 75 pounds overweight.
You can search for BMI online and plug in your height and weight. For example, ideal weight for 5 foot 5 inches is 150 lbs. If diabetic and over 225, you would be a candidate.

In brief: OR if BMI over 35

Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery