Is hypospadias always passed on to your sons?

Dr. David Vandersteen
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: 15%

The overall risk of hypospadias recurring in a child of a man with hypospadias is roughly 15%.
Thus, as dr mesrioban notes it is a rare occurrence. Yet, as dr. Klauber pointed out, this is still 15-30 times the risk of the general population! i guess it depends on who is managing the "spin.".

In brief: 15%

Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: No it isn't

There is only an approx.
7% familial incidence of hypospadias. Approx. 10% of brothers with hypospadias will also have the same condition. I have seen between 1500 - 2000 boys with hypospadias & only a handful had fathers who also have hypospadias. Threre have about 3 families where there were 3 or 4 generations with hypospadias. Inheritance is felt to be polygenic & not due to a single gene.

In brief: No it isn't

There is only an approx.
Dr. Hrair-George Mesrobian
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: No

The risk of hypospadias developing in a boy is 1 out of 250 live births.
Most hypospadias is random and only about 1% of all cases, is it familial. If your family (father, brother, cousin) does not have a history of hypospadias, chances are the risk of your son having hypospadias is 1 in 250.

In brief: No

Dr. George Klauber
I believe Dr. Mesrobian, who is an outstanding & excellent pediatric urologist, significantly underestimates the familial incidence of hypospadias, otherwise I would not have seen so many boys who also have fathers and brothers with this condition.
Dr. Jonathan Jassey