Should fruit and vegetables be counted in a calorie reduced diet?

Dr. Bryan Levey

In brief: Agree w Dr. F.

I suspect the question arose because weight watchers changed its plan last year to make most fruits and veggies 0 points.
Their aim was to get you eating more of these foods, which will fill you up, and tend to be much less calorie dense than less healthy choices. You still need to reduce total calorie intake to lose weight, and zero points does not mean zero calories.

In brief: Agree w Dr. F.

Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Arthur Heller
I agree. Even though grapes may have no points on WW, a pound of grapes certainly has calories. Eat enough oranges or apples, etc, the calories can add up. However, the water content and fiber in them fills you up quicker, and you pace yourself better. 8 oz OJ=120 Cals, no fiber. 2 oranges=120 Cals and 8-10 Gms fiber

Anything you ingest has some calorie value (including water=zero calories).
Many fruits are high in fructose (sugar) and many vegatables are calorie dense with a variety of carbs, some fat & protein. Fruits and vegies tend to be less calorie dense than most meats but all must be considered if you want to be successful.

Dr. Francine Yep

In brief: Starchier veggies

Bigger picture: more calories in dairy, meat, starches than in your friendly neighborhood fruits and veggies.
So focus on healthy portions of those groups first. But if you're really counting calories, then some fruits and veggies are starchier and have more calories like peas, parsnips, winter squash for instance. Link to easy grouping in comments.

In brief: Starchier veggies

Dr. Francine Yep
Dr. Francine Yep
Dr. Francine Yep
Veggies grouped by calories [low>medium>higher] http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2008/01/weight-watchers-points-for-vegetables.html#more_point_vegetables
Dr. Bryan Levey

In brief: I would add.....

I would add that i've known several people who gained weight using this new weight watchers plan.
Their total caloric intake increased as they gleefully ate piles of apples and oranges. I suspect weight watchers will eventually realize how silly this change was.

In brief: I would add.....

Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care

In brief: No

Veggies not counted.

In brief: No

Veggies not counted.
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care

In brief: Veg limitless

Vegetables are not counted - you can eat as much as you want.

In brief: Veg limitless

Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine