If I have bariatric surgery, what exactly can I expect when I wake up in the recovery room?

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: Nothing extraordinar

Once you wake up in the recovery room, you'd feel no different than if you had other type of surgery.
You may have some discomfort from the incision, some groginess from the anesthesia, a dressing on the abdomen, but those are common things after any surgery.

In brief: Nothing extraordinar

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Bariatrics

In brief: Groggy discomfort

Right after surgery, you will be groggy.
Actually, you will not remember much. When i talk to patients and tell them all went well, they usually don't remember. The nurses often give medicine for nausea and pain. No breathing tubes.

In brief: Groggy discomfort

Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine