How soon will I be able to walk after I have bariatric surgery?

In brief: Very soon
You should be up and able to walk later that day after full recovery from anesthesia.

In brief: Very soon
Dr. Michael Sawyer
Dr. Michael Sawyer
Dr. Kenneth Foreman
Bariatrics
In brief: Several hours
Most patients are able to (and should) get out of bed and walk within a matter of hours after laparoscopic bariatric surgery.
This will help reduce the risk of blood clots as well as stimulating deep breathing, which will help reduce the risk of pneumonia. After going home walking or some other aerobic activity should be a daily activity.

In brief: Several hours
Dr. Kenneth Foreman
Dr. Kenneth Foreman
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Bariatrics
In brief: Hours.
It is important to get up and walk to prevent lung problems and leg clots.
Typically a urine catheter is not placed, ensuring at least the need to get to the bathroom.

In brief: Hours.
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery