How soon can I drive after I have bariatric surgery?

Dr. Kenneth Foreman
Bariatrics
In brief: 1-2 weeks
You should be off of narcotic pain medication and comfortable behind the wheel before resuming driving.
For laparoscopic surgery this is usually 1-2 weeks, with patients undergoing open surgery needing more time.

In brief: 1-2 weeks
Dr. Kenneth Foreman
Dr. Kenneth Foreman
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Bariatrics
In brief: Drive in 5 days
Most patients can drive in 5-6 days following weight loss surgery.
Of course, you should not be taking pain medication and then get behind the wheel.

In brief: Drive in 5 days
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Zeenat Hasan
Bariatrics
In brief: Talk to your surgeon
but I tell my patients that after 2 weeks they can drive as long as they are not on narcotic pain medications and they feel healthy enough to react quickly behind the wheel.
It is important to check with your surgeon and keep all your follow up appointments, and you can always double check with them. Good luck!

In brief: Talk to your surgeon
Dr. Zeenat Hasan
Dr. Zeenat Hasan