How long do I have to stay in the hospital after I have bariatric surgery?

In brief: Depends
The typical hospital stay for a healthy band, bypass, or sleeve patient is usually less than 24 hours for a first time procedure.
The experience of the surgeon and hospital play a role however. Some bands and sleeves are actually done outpatient. Insurance sometimes requires an overnight stay such as medicare. The patients underlying medical conditions and weight may necessitate longer stays.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Matthew St. Laurent
Dr. Matthew St. Laurent
Dr. Kenneth Foreman
Bariatrics
In brief: 1-3 days
This varies based on the procedure.
Laparoscopic gastric band patients often go home the same day. Gastric bypass or vertical sleeve gastrectomy patients usually stay 1-3 days depending on the surgeon and individual patient.

In brief: 1-3 days
This varies based on the procedure.
Dr. Kenneth Foreman
Dr. Kenneth Foreman
Dr. David Hargroder
Bariatrics
In brief: Length of stay
There are several different weight loss procedures.
The length of stay will vary from procedure to procedure. I require a 1 night stay for the mini-gastric bypass procedure that i perform. Occasionally patients will stay 2 days. Some procedures such as the lap band offer outpatient services, but most other procedures require a 1 to 3 day hospital stay.

In brief: Length of stay
Dr. David Hargroder
Dr. David Hargroder
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery