Should I expect to lose hair after bariatric surgery?

Dr. Edward Neilsen

In brief: Possibly

There are two common reasons for this.
First, endocrine (thyroid) levels can fluctate with rapid weight changes and should be monitored. Second, extreme stress can cause hairloss that may not be evident or 3-6 months following the stress, and may not improve for 3-6 more months. Your dr should be able tell if a work-up is necessary, versus reassurance and time.

In brief: Possibly

There are two common reasons for this.
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Dean Giannone

In brief: Yes unfortunately

Hair loss is an expected consequence of weight loss surgery.
It does grow back.

In brief: Yes unfortunately

It does grow back.
Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Bariatrics

In brief: Temporary loss

Patients who are losing a lot of weight will tend to direct nutrients away from the hair, leading to a slowing of new hair growth.
It is only temporary. Tips to prevent hair loss: extra biotin, zinc, and protein. Many patients have told me that rogaine (minoxidil) helped prevent hair loss in the first 2-4 months after surgery.

In brief: Temporary loss

Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine