Will I be hungry after weight loss surgery ?

Dr. David Yan
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Hopefully not

One of the benefits of bariatric surgery is earlier satiety.
Hopefully, you will feel full with smaller quantities of food.

In brief: Hopefully not

Dr. David Yan
Dr. David Yan
2 comments
Dr. Nadu Tuakli
On the other hand bariatric surgery should be the absolute last resort for weight loss. I recommend trying the HCG diet first
Dr. David Yan
I agree that bariatric surgery should not be a first line treatment. First line attempts should be diet and exercise, nutritional consultation, and other programs such as Weight Watchers. I have some reservations with the hCG diet because it has not been shown to be any different than any other severe calorie restrictive diet in well controlled studies.
Dr. Gregg Nishi
Bariatrics

In brief: Hunger

Weight loss surgery usually reduces a persons appetite.
You will still get hungry, but likely not as much as before surgery. From time to time I do see patients who rarely get hungry (after surgery), and wouldn't even eat unless their spouse reminded them to. That is somewhat rare though.

In brief: Hunger

Dr. Gregg Nishi
Dr. Gregg Nishi

Hunger is still there but it will take less to make it go away.
You can still eat more but learn to eat less.

Dr. Terry Simpson
Dr. Terry Simpson
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Bariatrics

In brief: Not much

Hunger is controlled by "hunger hormones".
The most studied is called ghrelin. For the band, hunger is not decreased very much and the ghrelin levels remain high. However, for the sleeve and bypass, hunger and ghrelin are markedly decreased. Over years, some degree of hunger can return. I should work on a book and movie called "ghrelin games".

In brief: Not much

Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery