Can I continue smoking after bariatric surgery?

Dr. Dean Giannone

In brief: No.

Shouldn't have been smoking before Bariatric surgery.
Take the opportunity to do something else healthy for yourself and quit smoking.

In brief: No.

Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. David Buchin
Bariatrics

In brief: Absolutely NO

I do not operate on smokers! they must quit smoking prior to proceeding with any procedure.
You're doing this for your health. Smoking is the worst possible thing that you can do to your health. Obesity is second only to smoking. If you continue smoking the complication rate significantly rises because smoking does not allow the body to heal properly. Also causes bad gastric ulcers after.

In brief: Absolutely NO

Dr. David Buchin
Dr. David Buchin
Dr. David Yan
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: You shouldn't

Although you can smoke after bariatric surgery, it doesn't mean you should.
Smoking puts you at risk for complications and other medical problems. Since it is a controllable factor, it only makes sense to stop smoking if you can.

In brief: You shouldn't

Dr. David Yan
Dr. David Yan
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Bariatrics

In brief: Bypass: No. Sleeve:?

You cannot smoke after bypass or you will get an ulcer. After a sleeve, it is still bad, but more tolerated.
We encourage the electronic cigarettes. Cheaper and safe.

In brief: Bypass: No. Sleeve:?

Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Joseph Kuhn