Can I drink alcohol after bariatric surgery?

Dr. David Buchin
Bariatrics
In brief: No alcohol for 1 yr
Unfortunately with weight loss surgery, you become very sensitive to alcohol.
It is due to the fact that your body surface area is much smaller plus your liver becomes much more sensitive to alcohol. So any kind of alcohol intake can be dangerous. I usually recommend that the patient wait at least 1 year before drinking any alcohol. Also alcohol has a lot of empty calories.

In brief: No alcohol for 1 yr
Dr. David Buchin
Dr. David Buchin
Dr. Albert Pizzo
In brief: Bariatric surgery
Any diet or other questions concerning your bariatric surgery should be thoroughly discussed with the surgeon and the staff.

In brief: Bariatric surgery
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Bariatrics
In brief: Small amounts
Small amounts of alcohol would be ok.
However, the risk of intoxication is faster after bypass and sleeve. Recent data also seems to show a higher risk of alcohol addiction. Good to be aware.

In brief: Small amounts
Small amounts of alcohol would be ok.
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine