What can I do I have rsd in my foot? It hurts how do I get the pain to go away?

Dr. Norman Marcus
Pain Management

In brief: Is it RSD?

Now called complex regional pain syndrome, rsd is frequently misdiagnosed.
If you have change in temperature, skin color, hair and nail growth, swelling, extreme sensitivity to touch, worsening with cold or your foot hanging down, you may actually have it. If it is recent in onset, sympathetic blocks along with pt to ensure that you maintain flexibility can help along with nerve pain meds.

In brief: Is it RSD?

Dr. Norman Marcus
Dr. Norman Marcus
Dr. Stephen Rodrigues

In brief: New view

Dr. Lewis is correct but i want to add in some old information from the 50-60's that’s in some textbooks.
Travell, md, hackett, md, gunn, md and rachlin, md who are pioneers in myofascial pain therapy with needles and trigger point injections. They see nerve pain as being aggravated by the muscles. Trigger points in the muscles cause the muscles to not function well.

In brief: New view

Dr. Stephen Rodrigues
Dr. Stephen Rodrigues
Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Pain Management

In brief: Multiple options

There are several treatments for this painful condition.
Because rsd involves abnormal nervous system discharge, medications that reduce activation are helpful-e.g.-lyrica and cymbalta (duloxetine). Repeated numbing of the over-active nerves can also be helpful especially if combined with desensitization therapy. Iv ketamine has also shown some promise. Finally, spinal cord stimulation is an option.

In brief: Multiple options

Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Dr. Richard Rosenthal

In brief: Time

Rsd is one of the most difficult problems to treat.
I have treated many rsd cases and in general it takes a group effort between th podiatrist, pain management, and pt. Good luck don't get discouraged.

In brief: Time

Dr. Alan Ettinger
Dr. Alan Ettinger
Dr. Marc Singer
Podiatry

In brief: May be difficult.

First any one who is diagnosed with rsd or regional pain syndrome should be treated with compassion.
It is a very debilitating disease. If it is early on the rsd can be treated with systemic pain medication and topical pain medication, along with physical therapy. Later stages may need injections in the spine and possible surgery. Find a physician in your area who has experience treating rsd.

In brief: May be difficult.

Dr. Marc Singer
Dr. Marc Singer
Dr. Vikram Patel