How do I know if I have fibromyalgia?

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: See a doctor

The best way to determine this is to see a doctor who is used to seeing patients with various types of pain.
These doctors include rheumatologists, physiatrists, neurologist and orthopedists. These doctors know the appropriate medical work-up and can then suggest the best treatment.

In brief: See a doctor

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Fibromyalgia

Have a full workup from your general care practitioner to determine if fibromyalgia is the correct diagnosis.
If so, pain management, preferably with as few pills as possible is of utmost importance. Here is the website of the American Academy of Pain Management: http://www.aapainmanage.org/

In brief: Fibromyalgia

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice

In brief: Blood test

Recently, medical researchers have announced that they have discovered a blood test that is highly specific for fibromyalgia (fm).
The test purports to relate imbalance of cytokines to fm, & the researchers consider fm an immune system disorder. However, other researchers have found cytokine imbalances in persons with sleep disorders without fm. Fm sufferers have sleep disorders. Who knows?

In brief: Blood test

Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
The unifying genetic relationship in fibromyalgia is probably Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (JHS), a known genetic condition.  I have noted that a good portion of female fibromyalgia sufferers satisfy the Bristol Criteria for JHS, and are able to oppose thumb to lateral radial skin, hyperextended elbows and knees, and can place their palms on the floor with knees locked.  Most could put their feet behind their head and back bridge as youngsters and many can do so as adults.  JHS is a disorder with a spectrum of penetrance; with Marfans and Ehlers-Danlos at the clinical severity end of the spectrum.  My speculation is that the trait is conserved in females because it increases pelvic joint (SIJ and symphysis pubis) flexibility during childbirth.  Many of my patients with fibromyalgia and subclinical JHS delivered their fourth or fifth child in minutes rather than hours.  I speculate that repetitive childbirth, in conjunction with the hormone Relaxin, progressively loosens pelvic ligaments.  This functionality would seem to favor infant survivability.  To my mind fibromyalgia results from the effects of a loose ligament-skeletal system attempting to maintain a medial center of gravity via chronic muscle spasm leading to widespread ischemic trigger points (after the work of Shah at NIH).
Dr. Vikram Patel