How can I get help for excess hair growth?

Yes. There are many options for removing unwanted hair. Temporary methods include shaving or waxing. Long-term hair removal can be achieved with either laser hair removal or electrolysis. Laser hair removal is effective for removing hair that is dark in color, and thicker hair responds better than fine hair. Electrolysis can remove hair of all colors, but it is impractical for large areas.
Need evaluation. Excessive hair growth in a female, if occurs on face, around navel, or between breasts, needs evaluation for cause. Could be drug-related, or can be related to hormonal changes. Best to see a dermatologist, or an endocrinologist to do further work up, if needed.

Related Questions

What will help reduce excess hair growth?

Depends on where is. Excess hair growth can be due to genetics or abnormal hormones. Waxing, shaving, plucking, and laser removal can result in removal of the excess hair. Hormone changes can help slow down or stop excess hair growth in certain areas. There are creams for the face that can slow down hair growth, birth control methods can help as well as thyroid hormones if that is a cause. Depends on underlying cause.

How can I put an end to excess hair growth all over my body?

Hair Removal. Hair depilatories can help dissolve your hair on the surface of your skin. Technically, hair depilatories are applied on the skin and work by breaking down the hair's protein structure. These products are available on the market and may come in the form of lotions, gels or creams. Laser hair removal is effective but costly.

Excess hair growth annoying me! If I wax will it regrow thicker?

No. The number of hair follicles is not due to whether you wax or not. Their is a certain number of hair follicles and they regrow based on that. Overtime if you wax frequently enough then the number can actually decrease.

Excess hair growth in women can be drug related? Facial hair for example?

Depends on the drug? Hirsutism is a term used to describe increased hair growth in women where hair doesn't usually grow like the jaw/back/abdomen. This can be associated with drugs, most commonly drugs with androgen activity like steroids, danazol, progestens, methyldopa, etc. Can be a sign of an underlying hormone disorder associated with disease like obesity, diabetes, polycystic ovary, or a hormone releasing tumor.
Yes. It can be depending on the particular medication. Howvere if you are having excessive hair growth would suggest you see an endocrinologist.

Since the age of 12 I have had excess hair growth on parts of my body that a woman usually shouldn't have. Could I have hirsutism?

It is Hormonal. Excess of hair on the body in women is called Hirsutism. The extent and degree range from normal to slight or severe excess. If you think these are getting worse, you should go see a doctor dealing with Hormone disorders (Endocrinologist) or see a gynecologist. This can be sorted out with further testing to check all your Hormone making glands in your body.

Is there a way to cure excess hair growth on the back that doesn't involve repeated shaving or epilation?

Cure? Permanent hair removal with laser is the closest thing to permanent removal.
Laser. Laser hair removal can be very helpful at reducing the rate of hair growth. However it takes 3-5 monthly treatments and then maintenance treatments (1-3/year). Know that it is not a cure and hair will continue to grow but at lesser rates the more treatments you get. It is also not covered by insurance and can get expensive. If you do get it done, make sure they are a board certified physician.

I've had excess hair growth since I was a teen - including on my face (female, now in late 20s). Someone told me that this could be a sign of cancer?

Very rarely. It would be very uncommon. It is more commonly a hormone imbalance, perhaps something called pcos (polycystic ovarian syndrome). See your doctor.
Maybe. Some ovarian cysts and tumors (not all are cancerous) can cause these changes, but these may also be hormonal, due to supplements or drugs, or birth control methods. You should consult an ob/gyn for definite care.