Can an ovarian cyst be cancer?

Sometimes. Some cysts, like serous cystadenomas are precursors of cancers. Any cyst the persists for more than 2-3 menstrual periods should be checked further, particularly those who have a history of ovarian cancer. Sometimes biopsy and ca-125 levels must be taken, while other times surgery is needed.
Possible most are no. Not , the most common type is a benign ovulatory simple cyst which will usually resolve on bc pills or with the next period, an ultrasound and blood work can usually tell you if a cyst is ok or needs to be investigated by doing surgery, if u have a cyst your gyn should have discussed this with u and if your gyn did not then call your gyn that is their job, just like I do with all my patients.