How can you prevent sleep paralysis?

Sleep study. Hypnogogic sleep is characterized by sleep paralysis. Many people experience this phenomenon. It has to do with the stages (depth) of sleep. A sleep study can help provide info and there may be ways to help patients get to a different stage of sleep where this does not occur. See a physician about this and he/she can prescribe a sleep study.
Sleep Paralysis. Sleep paralysis is a normal phenomena occurring in most people during rem sleep. You can snap out of it by blinking your eye lids. If it occurs as part of narcolepsy you need proper diagnosis with sleep study and mslt and treatment.
Sleep Paralysis. Sleep researchers conclude that, in most cases, sleep paralysis is simply a sign that your body is not moving smoothly through the stages of sleep. Rarely is sleep paralysis linked to deep underlying psychiatric problems. http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-paralysis#1.
Alarm clock. You can use medications that suppress sleep paralysis. I had a few patients that do not get sleep paralysis when using an alarm clock to wake them up. They would have often sleep paralysis when awaking on their own.