Is it true that its not safe for pregnant women to get dental fillings?

Dr. James Beck
Dentistry

In brief: Usually ok

I prefer to not do any dental work on pregnant women during the first and third trimesters because those are critical stages.
I really don't have any worries about doing fillings during the second trimester. My biggest concern is if the patient has high anxiety during the treatment which could upset the pregnancy. If the treatment is not an emergency, it can usually wait until after.

In brief: Usually ok

Dr. James Beck
Dr. James Beck

In brief: Pregnant women

I personally prefer to delay all elective dental treatment until after the baby is born.
It is my understanding that any local anesthetic given to the pregnant mother crosses the placenta to the fetus. However, if it is an emergency, or treatment that cannot wait, it is best to do the treatment during the middle trimester. Dental cleanings and exams are not only safe but recommended.

In brief: Pregnant women

Dr. Daniel Rubenstein
Dr. Daniel Rubenstein
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham