How do I know if I have chondromalacia patellae (cmp)?

Dr. Timothy Mosher
Radiology

In brief: Pain

Chondromalacia patellae is a term that is used to describe softening of the patellar cartilage from degeneration.
Pain comes from higher pressure on the underlying bone. Pain is usually aggregated by activities such as climbing stairs, hiking, getting out of the car, etc. Where high force is placed on the patella. In some cases x-rays and/or MRI are used to evaluate the degree of degeneration.

In brief: Pain

Dr. Timothy Mosher
Dr. Timothy Mosher
Dr. Zubin Khubchandani
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Pain

Chondromalacia patella (runners knee) is due to overload of the patellofemoral joint (knee cap against the end of the thigh bone).
Running causes high forces in this portion of the joint. So does arising from a chair, going up/down stairs. Pain in front of knee, under knee cap or behind knee with these types of activities. Physical exam is very helpful.

In brief: Pain

Dr. Zubin Khubchandani
Dr. Zubin Khubchandani