How do I know if I have a torn meniscus?

MRI. Because the symptoms of a torn meniscus are similar to many problems inside the knee (pain, catching, feelings of instability) the only way to really know is an mri. An experienced physician can usually be faily confident after a history and exam, but the pictures of the MRI are the best evidence other than really looking inside the knee.
Pain. You may have pain along the joint line of the knee, and joint line pain with twisting or pivoting activities. A clinical exam and probably an MRI would be necessary.