How can one tell the difference between a sore throat from the common cold and a sore throat from strep throat?

Culture. The best way to tell if a sore throat is strep is with a strep culture. Rapid strep tests also give good answers in the office, but strep culture remains the gold standard. Your doctor may treat you without a test if the symptoms warrant, or do a rapid strep test or culture if it isn't clear. Symptoms suggesting strep include fever, pus on the tonsils, painful lymph nodes, and exposure to strep.
Culture. Have a culture done. See your md to prescribe a culture.
Strep screen. A rapid strep screen test is the best way an is extremely reliable. C ur pcp & get it done 2 b sure.