Is there a good treatment for post herpetic neuralgia?

Dr. Vikram Patel
Pain Management
In brief: Postherpetic neuralg
Severe options, thankfully.
Medications such as gabapentin, pregabalin, Lidocaine patches . Nerve blocks and treatments with pulsed radiofrequency. Spinal cord stimulation if nothing helps. It is a painful and difficult to treat condition. See an expert for proper evaluation. It has central as well as peripheral components so the treatment may vary depending on that.

In brief: Postherpetic neuralg
Severe options, thankfully.
Dr. Vikram Patel
Dr. Vikram Patel
Dr. Felix Brizuela
Neurology
In brief: Be aggressive early
I found that aggressive treatment early with antiviral (valtrex superior in my opinion) and steroids helps not only limit the development of this, but symptoms have reversed in some of my patients.
Once it is chronic, i found that the sodium channel specific agents, i.e. Tegretol, Trileptal and vimpat, (lacosamide) are superior to the gabaergic drugs such as Lyrica and neurontin.

In brief: Be aggressive early
Dr. Felix Brizuela
Dr. Felix Brizuela