Why would a person get muscle weakness in the leg?

Nerve&muscle damage. Any type of nerve injury in your lower spine or in your leg can cause muscle weakness. Muscle diseases can lead to weakness. Sometimes brain conditions lead to muscle weakness, too. A detailed neurological exam can identify the likely area of damage.
There can be many. Reasons - a nerve impingement can cause this, a stroke can cause this, side effects of medication can cause this. For example, I have see it in some cholesterol lowering medications. Best to be checked out by a doctor if you have these symptoms.