What makes you get multiple sclerosis?

Not fully understood. Multiple sclerosis is a very complex disease. There is a large collection of research identifying certain genes (most governing control of the immune system) as both increasing risk and potentially protective against MS (based on studies of populations). Environmental and hormonal factors may also play a role in individuals with a background genetic risk.
Risk factors. Genetic susceptibility which can run in families, a history of ebstein-barr virus, such as infectious mononucleosis, prior smoking, possibly a high salt diet, growing up north of latitude 42, low levels of vitamin d. All increase risks, but we do not actually have the full explanation for cause.