How is a diagnosis of MS supported by an MRI of the brain and the spine?

MRI guidelines . Mri of brain and spinal cord may show areas of abnormal signal which are consistent with ms but must be taken in the context of the individual's clinical course, objective findings on the neurological exam, and no better explanation forthcoming. Ms diagnosis can be supported by MRI findings, often with additional support from spinal fluid abnormalities consistent with the diagnosis.
Shows demyelination. Recent revision of the diagnostic criteria for MS have increased the importance of MRI findings. The diagnosis of MS is made sooner in the course of the disease based upon the appropriate history physical findings and MRI findings. The MRI abnormalities suggest demyelination in the brain/spinal cord. If all other causes of demyelination are excluded, ms is the likely cause and treatment can begin.
McDonald criteria. We look for "dissemination in space", or lesions both in different areas of brain, but also spinal cord, and "dissemination in time", presence of both old and newer lesions. MRI patterns as above can confirm the diagnosis.